Piss Paintings / Andy Warhol


Andy Warhol / Piss Paintings (1977 - 78)

'The last time I saw Dali in New York he was so nice... I told him that I was doing piss paintings. And he said Pier Paolo Pasolini had an artist pissing on a painting years ago in his movie Teorama. I lied and said I did mine before that."   Andy



 "I'm pretty sure that the Piss Paintings idea came from friends telling him about what went on at the Toilet, reinforced perhaps by the punks peeing at his Paris opening. He was also aware of the scene in the 1968 Pasolini movie, Teorema, where an aspiring artist pisses on is paintings. 'It's a parody of Jackson Pollock,' he told me, referring to rumours that Pollock would urinate on a canvas before delivering it to a dealer or client he didn't like. Andy liked his work to have art-historical references, though if you brought it up, he would pretend he didn't know what you were talking about... Nonetheless, the true muse of Andy's sexual works in 1977-78 was Victor Hugo.

"By 1977, Manhattan boasted at least a dozen thriving gay bathhouses, although they were considered a bit passé compared to the backroom bars of the far West Village... The Anvil was famous for its fist-fucking stage show. The Toilet featured tubs and troughs where naked men lay for other naked men to urinate on them... Andy only went to the Anvil once, as far as I know, and he never went to the Toilet, though he also once went to the Eagle's Nest... where he was fascinated, he told me, by a man who urinated in an empty beer bottle and left it on the bar for someone else to to drink. 'They were all fighting over it,' he said. 'It was so abstract.'" 

Bob Colacello


 



 




*

Teorema: 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder