Joe,1979 / William Young


We had strong eye contact right from the start and I thought I had a good chance. The music was loud so I leant over to shout my opening line. He pointed to his ears and shook his head and I understood that he was deaf. He wrote words on the palm of his hand. J.O.E. Joe! It was totally vivid. I’ll never forget it. He brought me a drink. We didn’t have small talk so things developed really fast. I made the shape of a house with my hands: the walls, a hip roof and I pointed to myself. Did he want to come home with me? He agreed. We embraced (rather awkwardly) just to confirm that our intentions were similar. The ride home in the taxi was silent. No need to talk. It was perfect. I found out he was a labourer from a nearby country town. He sometimes came to the city where he had friends. He was a bit shy in bed but I liked him. I took his photo in the morning. He couldn’t hear the click. It was like photographing a stone. After breakfast I put him in a taxi. I worried how he would tell the driver where he wanted to go, but I guess that was something he’d solved before.

William Young

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder